Re: Cold backup and Exp utility

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:52:24 +1100

Absolutely agree with Sybrand. Export is a useful adjunct to a physical backup strategy, but it's not a convincing replacement for it.

I wonder why he does nightly exports? I've recently come across a disturbing habit of DBAs to do totally unnecessary exports on the grounds that, in doing the export, Oracle is forced to read all the blocks of the database -and accordingly, it provides a check that no block corruptions have taken place (which, of course, a boring old physical backup using old o/s copy commands can't do for you).

If that's the only reason it's being done, then someone should have acquainted your DBA with the much more efficient DBVERIFY utility, which should, in my opinion, *always* be run after every operating system backup, against all the datafiles that have been copied. It checks every single block, and reports on any corruption found. Being applied to 'dead' datafiles, not online ones (though it can do that too), it's lightening fast, and doesn't impact on the performance of the live database.

Accordingly, I would drop back to (maybe) a weekly export, and schedule DBVERIFY every night instead.

Sybrand is perfectly correct that the main saving grace of an Export is that is gives you the flexibility you need to avoid having to do incomplete (or point-in-time) recoveries -which are a royal pain in the butt to perform, render the database unavailable for the duration, usually go wrong unless you have your wits about you, and result in data loss across the entire database. By restoring a table from an export, the database remains up, import is relatively simple to perform, and the data loss is confined to the single table involved.

Definitiely a 'both required' situation -but check the frequency of that export. Nightly sounds way over the top.

Regards