Re: trigger within procedure within trigger

From: Frank <franjoe_at_frisurf.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:42:23 +0100

Hi!

Have you looked at the RETURNING clause on the INSERT/UPDATE statement in O8i,
or the CURRVAL of the sequence? Or altoghether; a PLSQL procedure to insert with?

I'm slightly surprised that Oracle does not raise a execption on you for issuing a DDL
statement in a trigger (I m thinking of the implicit commit here). Are you using DBMS_SQL to do this enable/disable? have you tried to put the ALTER statement directly into your trigger logic, I would be interested in knowing if you were able to compile it?

It may not be a must to for Oracle to control the transaction for Oracle as this is a "virtual" insert on a view, and the DB will be able to keep the consistency anyhow. But it should be no good programming practice to commit in the middle of a virtual insert either. Otherwise the calling logic will have no idea/control of the transaction.

Frank Received on Thu Mar 22 2001 - 12:42:23 CST