Re: Oracle 8.1.7 unable to autostart database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:04:12 +1100

First, don't post in HTML, as many readers don't cope (this newsgroup is, remember, infested with stacks of hairy Unix users who still use programs like PINE, God help them).

Now: what makes you say the database isn't starting? Are you just looking at the services applet, and seeing it stuck on 'Starting...'? If so, that's a known bug, and doesn't appear to make a lot of real difference (in other words, if you fired up server manager, and did a connect, followed by a select * from v$instance, you'd discover the thing was open anyway).

Is the service for your instance set to autostart (I'm not sure whether the registry entry you mention relates to that, but I tend to check things via the control panel applet rather than hack around the registry -funny thing, but in two years, I've never touched the registry once for Oracle on NT. It seems to be a popular pasttime amongst NT-DBAs, however).

Regards
HJR

""Tek Seng"" <tekseng_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:000801c0b284$b4e7ef20$11e978cb_at_d... Hi,
Installed Oracle 8.1.7 in Windows 2000 Server SP1. I am unable to get the database started automatically after bootup even though the registry value ORA_SID_AUTOSTART is set to TRUE. Is there any ways that I can start the database automatically at boot time?
Thanks. Received on Thu Mar 22 2001 - 04:04:12 CST