Re: Best OS for the following...

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:41:16 +1100

"David Ehrens" <nospam_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:9W6u6.2606$Wz.866683_at_typhoon.ne.mediaone.net...
> <mmoore96_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
>
> If the requirements are more or less:
>
> - database is relatively small
> - database for batch use only
> - no real users
> - you are the DBA and you're more an NT than unix person
> - must operate 24x7x365
>
> You can:
>
> - adapt to Unix
> - stay with NT
>
> If you stay with NT, you will have to:
>
> - adapt to SQL Server, because if you run Oracle on NT
> you will not have 24x7x365 uptime and you will go
> stark, raving mad

Call me biased, but I currently have 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 (which, last time I checked, is sort of NT-ish), and it's had an uptime of 3 months. That's at work. At home, I've had a crappy Pentium 233 running 8.1.6 on Windows 2000 that has been up so long I can't remember the last time I rebooted it (but the useful little bit of freeware called "Uptime" tells me that it's been 243 days 6 hours 3 minutes and 55 seconds).

Now it is perfectly true that all my "friends" tell me that I am stark, staring mad, so this proves nothing but the accuracy of the latter part of your statement. But I really can't see the need to change to SQL Server, and if I wait a mere three months, I think I will have disproved your claim that 24x7x365 is not possible on NT-ish systems.

Now, I doubt I could make such a claim if I were thrashing that database to death on a regular basis, and with 1000+ Users attached. But it's small, perfectly formed, and undegoes regular nasty tests as a result of some of the posts I see here. So it is reasonably stressed. And it copes.

I must therefore disagree with the general thrust of your comments.

Yours in Bedlam,
HJR