Backup questions

From: <vikasa_at_despammed.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:19:46 -0500

Would appreciate help with the following backup/recovery related issues:

  1. During online backup, when a tablespace is marked as BEGIN BACKUP, any changes to that tablespae are recorded in the redologs. When the END BACKUP is issued, does Oracle read the redologs and apply these changes to the actual datafile(s) of the tablespace? Or does it just stay in the redolog?
  2. After issuing a BEGIN BACKUP and during copying the tablespace's datafile, there is a disk failure and the datafile is lost. How does one recover in this case?
  3. If I need to recover only a few datafiles and not the entire database, I would do RECOVER DATAFILE <datafile>. What happens in this case? Does Oracle ignore the redo entries which pertain to the other datafiles?

Under what situation would I need to do ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE <file> OFFLINE DROP? Once I do this, how can I bring the datafile online again?

Thanks... Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 14:19:46 CST