Re: How to housekeep archive log files?

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:19:00 +0000

Jackling,

You don't need to keep archive logfiles older than your last cold backup, unless you consider restoring the database to point in time prior to last cold backup. You do need archive logfiles around your last hot backup. As far as how far back you need them, you won't know for sure. Therefore you have to keep all from your last cold backup on (again, unless you consider point in time recovery which may require more).

The word "keep" in the above paragraph means keep either on disk or tapes. But if you're not short of disk space, why not keep one copy on disk, one on tape until the copy on disk is too old? Keeping an additional copy on disk shortens database down time and adds a little more protection against media (tape i.e.) failure.

Yong Huang

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 15:19:00 CST