Re: Question about REDO logs.

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 21 Mar 2001 10:53:32 +0000 (GMT)

Kev.- <java2e_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am not sure if this can even be done but I was asked to get the IO
>stats from the REDO logs. I have no clue what V$ table I need to go
>to to get this information if it is even indeed possible. Could some
>please advise me on this as I have been scanning the web for hours and
>found nothing.

Look in v$sysstat for "redo size","redo writes" and "redo blocks written" I've only checked 8.1.7 YMMV.

>I think what they what is to get performance information to see where
>the problems are occuring. I noticed that you can get Latch
>Statistics for REDO logs but what about IOs. Also what table can I
>goto to get the names of all the REDO log files.

You're probably best off running a report with either utlbstat/utlestat, or if you're on 8.1.6 or later statspack. Both of these are in ?/rdbms/admin.

Before you start, make sure at least somebody in the organisation has read Oracle's "Designing and Tuning for Performance" manual.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/