Re: Net8 questions

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:07:15 +0000

>- Is there any advantage using the host name in the:
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = roscoe)(PORT = 1521))
> as opposed to using HOST=localhost, or HOST=127.0.0.1, will one give me
>better performance?

I haven't measured but I believe using 127.0.0.1 and localhost is slightly faster, unless "roscoe" is just an alias to "localhost" and 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts (or Windows equivalent). In any case, using TCP is slower than Bequeath.

>tnsnames.ora
>
>- Is there any way to setup a service name so that if I do a connection
>(while on the server) like:
>sqlplus system/manager_at_local, that I get a local connection (like I'd get if
>I set my ORACLE_SID
>and left off the '@local'). If so, could you post an example.

Isn't that obvious? You already know how to do it.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 15:07:15 CST