RE: migrating oracle between different platform

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:54:32 -0000

Been there & wore the T shirt !
Except I did it between HP and Digital Unix.

Oracle will not let you copy datafiles between operating systems. What happens is that everything goes swimmingly until you start up the system - whereupon it all falls over.
I can't remember the exact error message. I raised a TAR for advice with Oracle and was told that EXPort and IMPort are the only way to pass data from one OS to another.

Apparently it is to do with the big-endian/little-endian format for numbers in binary, the size of said numbers across different OSs etc.

HTH. Norman.

PS. Watch out for maximum datafile sizes. I'm not sure about Sun, but our HP boxes have a file size limit of 2GB unless I create the file system with
largefile turned on. This then screws up some utilities (gzip for one) which cannot comprehend a file being this big. Compress works fine though !
If you need a 6Gb datafile, then I would use 3 by 2Gb instead. - there is another thread running at the moment on maximum file sizes, check it out too.

ND

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com