Re: Best OS for the following...

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:54:59 GMT

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:41:03 -0500, "Syltrem" <syltrem_at_videotron.ca> wrote:

>I would not trust Linux for a VITAL database. But maybe some people can
>comment on it (linux)? Can you get decent support (patches, upgrades, etc)
>on this?

Of course.

>I admit it could be fun to play around (for thos who like un*x that is), but
>it sounds too much like a high-school project to me, not to be trusted in a
>real business environment.

Au-contraire. You'll find most HS students playing around with Windoze et all. Linux users tend to be pro's or very much in that line. Therefore problems tend to be less. And the guys that actually write it are some of the best anywhere.

Let's look at this database. 100Mb max? Jeez, even a NT box could cope with that, although I wouldn't guarantee uptime.

Linux? Turn off the default daemons, install ORACLE and minimal stuff to make it work and the only way it will come down is if the box starts to smoke. That simple.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 01:54:59 CST