Re: Failover for Network disconnect.

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:44:43 GMT

I'm guessing you already did this, but the client machine needs to have a modified tnsnames.ora which recognizes the primary and secondary instances. This has to specify a failover strategy.

Also, we found in using jdbc connections, that the client will need to be modified. We tested this with sqlplus on the client side. After returning an error, we then had to automatically retry the connection, which then went to the secondary instance.

You may find it easier to just turn off the network connection with "ifconfig" if the machine is remote, than by removing the network cable. Of course, you'll need a "tip" connection to the machine to reenable it for the next test.

Check http://technet.oracle.com and go to the documentation section. There are good examples on TAF in the 8i OPS, Network and Oracle Addendum sections. The OPS book in particular has a primary and secondary tnsnames.ora.

-Dirk