Re: View DB Activity ?

From: Dave Weeks <dweeks_at_nospam.gnseurope.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:39:18 -0000

tom <tompr_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:T6pt6.14273$br1.150463_at_sodalite.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Hi
>
> I came back to work this morning to see that
> 3 gigs of archivelogs were created on sunday.
>
> There shouldnt have been anythign going on that would cause that.

We had something similar which was the result of huge sorts on disk (small sort_area_size) without using locally managed tablespaces. Most of the log files showed temporary extents being inserted/deleted to the dictionary extent table.

Maybe you had a sunday worker doing lots of sorts ;-)

> Is there a way i can determine what if any user activity
> was happening ?

Look through v$sqlarea (you should have some DBA scripts to report high occuring/resource-using SQL statements).

> Can i extract the statements form the archive logs and look at them ?

From:
http://technet.oracle.co.kr/product/Oracle8i/database/features/logminer.html

    "Oracle redo transaction log files contain a wealth of useful information about the activities and history of an Oracle database. Until Oracle8i there was no accurate or easy-to-use tool that could tap into this information. Log files contain all of the data needed to perform database recovery. They also record every change made to data and metadata in the database.

Oracle8i provides a powerful new tool, LogMiner, that enables administrators to audit the use of the database and the mission critical data it manages. Not only does LogMiner provide extensive auditing capabilities with the ability to undo erroneous changes to enterprise data, it performs this task without introducing any of the overhead normally associated with auditing large systems. LogMinder is a fully relational tool which allows log files to be read, analyzed, and interpreted by the administrator using SQL."

Regards,

    Dave. Received on Mon Mar 19 2001 - 09:39:18 CST