Re: Oradim & Certification

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:26:46 +1100

"I hate Spam" <tbf_at_nospam.stam.dk> wrote in message news:hjjcbtcb0bq079ersqj2jr76innpjecqbr_at_4ax.com...
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:45:33 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
>
> >it. However, since terminating the service is equivalent, by default, to
> >doing a shutdown abort, get into the habit of issuing a 'shutdown
 immediate'
> >from within Server Manager, and *then* stopping the Service. There are
> >registry hacks you can do to make a service stop mean a shutdown
 immediate,
> >but I'd suggest you need all the practice you can get right now.
> >Labour-saving tricks are for when you've *passed* the exams.
>
> a default creation with oradim (from 8.1.6) sets the registry
> parameter ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE = i
>
> so i think the default behavior of shutting down the service must be
> equal to a shutdown immediate and not abort.

It could well have changed in 8i, and I honestly haven't checked, in which case this is news, and thank you. Certainly, in earlier versions it was an abort by default. I think the general rule stands, though, that one should beware service stopping -because who knows what's in that registry until you take the trouble to look? At least, do what you did and *do* take the trouble to find out!

Regards
HJR