Re: Database name

From: Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:08:15 -0600

Backup your control file to trace, then shutdown the instance. Edit the trc file, delete everything up to the startup nomount, and change the create line to read:
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "your new dbname here" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
Delete out the recover db line also.

Delete your existing control files, then svrmgrl in, connect and run the trc file. After you've opened the db, do an 'alter database rename global_name to <your new db name>;

And voila :)

I'd read the admin manual if I was doing this for the first time, and _of course_ backup the existing db before trying this :)