Re: How to write data to OS pipe using PL/SQL

From: Jan-Helge Bergesen <jhb_at_protek.no>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:03:28 +0100

Nuno Souto wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:16:06 +0100, "Gollum"
> <gollum_nospam_at_worldonline.dk> wrote:
>

>> 3) Use UTL_FILE to write your data to an external file and then look in this
>> file for data to write to the OS pipe.
>>

> Has anyone tried to use a named pipe as the output of UTL_FILE?
> Should work.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

Yes, we have!
We've layered a couple of PL/SQL packages above this so that our SNP jobs can do things like syslog and generate notifications from within the database.

The only drawback we've encountered is when the pipe is removed by some process (meaning "manually by a luser" in most cases). This will mess up the session currently using the pipe, and all calls for writes to the pipe will fail untill the said session is terminated. (this is obviously a result of the old unix phenomenon regarding unlink(2) and open filedescriptors).

No clue why Oracle does not handle this, anyone?

--
Jan-Helge Bergesen +4755108509  <jhb_at_protek.no>
Software Developer, Protek TELsoft AS