Re: AlertLog Checking in NT

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:01:37 GMT

Hamdi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to automate the process of alerting DBA/Support People if any
> problems reported by the RDBMS on the Alert_<sid>.log file, by searching on
> the last 100 lines for certain errors and then send an e-mail or alert to
> the concern people .. I did succed on implementing that in Unix, but when it
> comes to NT I don't have the same luxury of powerful shell scripting in Unix

As have been said by others in this group, use PERL!!!!! It's a great scripting language and you can run it on many different platforms. One script for multiple platforms!!!!!

The only other thing that I'd add is that I wouldn't limit myself to just checking the last 100 lines. A recurring error can quickly generate 100's of lines of output. You may/may not want all of those lines sent out. A better way would be to send *all* error lines and then clear out the alert log for the next time the script is run.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at