Re: Oradim & Certification

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:45:33 +1100

"Rexbone" <rexbone_at_talk21.com> wrote in message news:993mdh$eei$1_at_neptunium.btinternet.com...
> New to this list and am about to embark on getting my Oracle DBA
> certification so will probably end up asking u lot some daft
> questions, but hopefully i in turn can help others out soon. To start off
> with i have a couple of queries the first about certification and the
> second about oradim.
>
> First...
> Been working with oracle for about 2.5 years as a developer and
> touched on DBA stuff having done a 1 week hands on course some
> time ago not having strained myself it's now time to get my nose
> amongst the books and i would like to ask you how long do u think
> it should take an average joe to complete the DBA certification
> doing evening study 5/6 times a week for a couple of hours? If you
> can't relate to this how did u do the certification and has it improved
> your ability/job lot in the market, ?

12 hours a week? I reckon you could polish off DBA and Backup and Recovery in about three weeks at that rate, assuming you've got a system you can play with on a need-to-play basis. Networking, give it another fortnight. Performance Tuning, maybe a month.

> Second...
> Having created the service and instance successfully, i think?

Say you are about to create a new database called BLAH.

Then, you issue the following command:

C:\> oradim -NEW BLAH -startmode AUTO -pfile='path and filename of previously prepared init.ora' -INTPWD secret

That creates a new NT service, which will start automatically every time the NT box bounces. Since starting the service starts the Instance, and since if you were to start an Instance you would need to specify an init.ora, so the "pfile" part of the syntax gives the Service the information it needs to locate said init.ora. The "intpwd" bit is not required, unless you want to force password file authentication (if you don't specify it, it implies that you have set up the ORA_DBA (or ORA_BLAH_DBA) local group, and assigned users to it appropriately).

When that command is issued, you should immediately be able to nip off to the Control Panel, and see the new service. If you can't see it, something is wrong.

If it's running, you should be able to fire up something like Server Manager, and issue a meaningful 'create database' command (the Service business has only built you an Instance).

Thereafter, I frankly think that trying to stop the service using oradim is a complete waste of time -the Control Panel applet does a much better job of it. However, since terminating the service is equivalent, by default, to doing a shutdown abort, get into the habit of issuing a 'shutdown immediate' from within Server Manager, and *then* stopping the Service. There are registry hacks you can do to make a service stop mean a shutdown immediate, but I'd suggest you need all the practice you can get right now. Labour-saving tricks are for when you've *passed* the exams.

Regards
HJR but