Re: Terabytes + database on NT

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:52:28 GMT

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:30:03 -0500, Scott Schaefer <saschaef_at_one.net> wrote:

>> Could someone supply a link to more information on this I/O bottleneck issue
>> with NT (and I assume Win2000 also). I'd like to learn more.
>>
>> John
>
>I believe this information is incorrect, or at least "outdated".
>
>There was an issue with early Intel-based SMP hardware, which
>limited IRQs to a single processor. Later versions of hardware,
>and later APIC chips from Intel, have resolved this.

Mmm - I think we're talking about different things (although I could be wrong). The disk I/O on processor zero limitation was an NT limitation, not a hardware one (Solaris, BSD and Linux on intel have never suffered from it in my experience). This may have been resolved in win2k. This was one of the key reasons MS told people not to fiddle with processor affinity for disk I/O in NT (especially in SQL Server) ... a lot of effort for zero gain.

I'll see if can track down any current info (and prepare a retraction if I find I'm wrong).

Ciao
Fuzzy