Re: why frequent commits are not good?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:33:12 -0000

No data object is locked.

If you 'select * from v$lock' you will find that the local database has taken out a TX lock in mode 6, and a DX lock in mode 4.

The requirement for a commit or rollback is nothing to do with the 'select' per se, and releasing data for other processes,
it is purely to release the transaction entry and tiny bit of space used in the rollback segment.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html