Re: 2 GB File Limit

From: Loopback Detected <dest_unreachable_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:45:26 GMT

Assumption to shatter:

1:1 relationship between Tablespace and Datafile.

this abstraction between physical (operating system) datafile and logical (Oracle Tablespace) was intended to provide flexibility. take advantage of it.

On NT 4.0 - the limit is 16 GB for a datafile. Try it. I know this, as I saw a site's DB puke when it hit this limit. Why don't you just write a routine to fill a datafile, watch it extend, and check the alert log after it dies?
16 GB will take a little while to fill - better have plenty of beer on hand.

Don't you enjoy crashing your dev database? If you haven't crashed the server, you aren't trying hard enough.

Paul

all your $ORACLE_BASE belong to us.