Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:09:05 +1100

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AB18B03.40BF71D_at_exesolutions.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>
> > "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > The create database command does not, in and of itself, create any
 rollback
> > > segments anywhere. You must specify them.
> >
> > Daniel, please. I've been teaching this stuff for years now. The
 create
> > database command creates the system datafile, the redo logs specified in
 the
> > command syntax, the control files specified in the init.ora, and one
 SYTEM
> > rollback segment. This is pretty basic stuff.
>
> Fine. I teach the Oracle curriculum at the University of Washington, work
 as a
> consultant for Fortune 500 companies and have been doing this for 11 years
 after
> starting in the industry back in the 1960s with Fortran IV. Perhaps I just
 don't
> know how to use OEM's Storage Manager. Perhaps I haven't a clue how to
 figure
> out which rollback segments exist.
>
> If you believe otherwise then by all means do so. My database instance is
> working just fine in spite of the fact that it hasn't a clue what it is
 supposed
> to look like according to you. So my instance and I will continue on in
 our
> ignorance.
>
> The matter is closed.

It most certainly is, since I see that Daniel has taken to snipping out anything in prior posts that he doesn't particularly agree with. This "matter" as he calls it is not me arguing with Daniel, but about Daniel arguing with Oracle itself, and potentially misleading newbies whilst he's at it.

So to un-snip just a little, and to put the matter finally to rest, here again is what Oracle says about the "Create Database" command in its documentation (and which Daniel found just a little too inconvenient to include in his reply):

QUOTE ON: When you execute a CREATE DATABASE statement, Oracle performs the following operations:

  a.. Creates the datafiles for the database.

  b.. Creates the control files for the database. See Chapter 5, "Managing Control Files".

  c.. Creates the redo log files for the database. See Chapter 6, "Managing the Online Redo Log".

  d.. Creates the SYSTEM tablespace and the SYSTEM rollback segment.

  e.. Creates the data dictionary.

  f.. Creates the users SYS and SYSTEM. See "Database Administrator Usernames".

  g.. Specifies the character set that stores data in the database

  h.. Mounts and opens the database for use

QUOTE OFF To make the point plainer: Daniel posts this "The create database command does not, in and of itself, create any rollback segments anywhere. You must specify them.", and the above document states "When you execute a CREATE DATABASE statement, Oracle performs the following operations ... d.. Creates the SYSTEM tablespace and the SYSTEM rollback segment."

Oracle is correct on this matter, which leaves Daniel somewhat *in*correct.

Something I suspect he knows, because every time he does a 'select * from dba_rollback_segs' the first line of output will be for a rollback segment called "SYSTEM".

HJR