Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:39:47 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > > Not sure what you mean here... I never use the wizards and all that
 jazz. I
> > > just use the 'create database' command, issued from within server
 manager
> > > (or SQL*Plus if I'm feeling slightly weird).
> >
> > The create database command does not, in and of itself, create any
 rollback
> > segments anywhere. You must specify them.
>
> Daniel, please. I've been teaching this stuff for years now. The create
> database command creates the system datafile, the redo logs specified in the
> command syntax, the control files specified in the init.ora, and one SYTEM
> rollback segment. This is pretty basic stuff.

Fine. I teach the Oracle curriculum at the University of Washington, work as a consultant for Fortune 500 companies and have been doing this for 11 years after starting in the industry back in the 1960s with Fortran IV. Perhaps I just don't know how to use OEM's Storage Manager. Perhaps I haven't a clue how to figure out which rollback segments exist.

If you believe otherwise then by all means do so. My database instance is working just fine in spite of the fact that it hasn't a clue what it is supposed to look like according to you. So my instance and I will continue on in our ignorance.

The matter is closed.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu Mar 15 2001 - 21:39:47 CST