Re: Large log files

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:11:04 +1100

"Yaroslav Perventsev" <p_yaroslav_at_cnt.ru> wrote in message news:98pt9i$dra$1_at_news247.cnt.ru...
> Hello!
>
> 1. I think large log files very bad idea because if database fails you may
> lost large amount of data.

Untrue. The size of the logs is irrelevant -provided they are mirrored, such that loss of the current redo log is insured against. No data will ever be lost in Oracle, provided all redo is available. Mirroring helps prevent the loss of redo.

The problem with a large redo log is (as the original poster stated) simply that INSTANCE recovery takes longer than it otherwise would do. The time taken to perform media recovery is unaffected.

>Also archive process will consume huge resource
> during archiving.

Potentially. But that's what having up to 32 redo log groups is designed for. It's also why 8.1+ allows you to create up to 10 archiver processes. In any event, ARCH will "consume" no more "resources" doing 10 copies of 1Mb redo logs than it would copying a single 10Mb file (minimal issues about disk head movement excluded).

Regards
HJR
> 2. May be you may reduce activity using on tables by specifying nologging
> etc.. If you load large amount data by sqlldr --> user unrecoerable
 option.
> In one word, try minimise loading on redo logs during batch jobs and do
> backup database more frequently.
>
> Best regards.
> Yaroslav
>
> "Andrew Mobbs" <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ ×
 ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ