Re: DB-Copy for testing on same machine...

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:48:27 -0000

Why not just do a clone assuming you can do a cold shutdown?

Do "alter database backup controlfile to trace", shut down database, copy datafiles to new location, renaming as necessary etc. Bring original database back up (if need be).

Re-set ORACLE_SID, get backup controlfile, on the "CREATE CONTROLFILE" line, change REUSE to SET, and NORESETLOGS to RESETLOGS.

Delete "RECOVER DATABASE" line, and change "ALTER DATABASE OPEN" to "ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS". Run the resulting SQL.