Re: Terabytes + database on NT

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:14:34 +1100

"andrey" <andrey_at_roz.ru> wrote in message news:98nobe$s86$1_at_josh.sovintel.ru...

> "NT will not reliably scale into the terabytes. " - it's from where ? out
> of nowhere

OK... so you clearly operate a terabyte NT system, yes? I'm prepared to learn, if so.

> NT scale itself means little when on raw devices
> without filesystem nothing limits db size

I'm not talking about filesystems. NT isn't a filesystem. It's an operating system, and my experience is that it will not happily cope with a terabyte database attached and the ensuing number of User connections.

But tell us your experience to the contrary.... HJR

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ""Anurag Minocha"" <aminocha_at_herold.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We are in the process of deciding the operating system to hold our
 database.
> > > It is expected that the database will be in Terabytes and will keep on
> > > growing at a very fast pace.
> > >
> > > Is NT the right o/s for this or we should move to unix. If unix then
 which
> > > flavor of Unix.
> > >
> > > I must tell you that the dataase will mainly consist of scanned
 images.
> > > Another solution which is possible to limit the size of the database
 is
> > > store the path of the images in the database and store the images in
 the
> > > file system. In this way we can use NT, but I am not sure of the side
> > > effects of this.
> > >
> > > We are thinking of 8i or later.
> > >

> > Weird. 8i is the current release. There is no 'later'. Why would you
 be
> > thinking about vapourware? Assess that which is on the marketplace
 today,
> > for tomorrow thou shalt upgrade, and it shalt be a painless task (ha
 ha).

> > As for terrabytes on NT, I will say just two things: I am a devout MS,
 NT
> > and W2K disciple. But you want your head tested for even thinking of
 such