Re: Terabytes + database on NT

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:14:54 -0800

> Definitely not.
> IMO, with your proposed config you will get a MTBF (meantime between
> failure) which is well below average, and how is that single processor going
> to deal with 10 disks.
> Life isn't that simple. If it would have been the software of Billy boy
> would have been working.
> Forget about NT, and go for Sun solaris with proper logical volume software
> or RS 6000 with AIX.

I absolutely agree.

A few years back I built a near terabyte (893MB) Oracle database on an Amdahl with six CPUs and disks arrays that NT can only dream about. Based on that experience I think trying it on NT would be suicidal. In fact, based on my experience I might even suggest doing it on an NCR Teradata machine if I cared at all about performance.

And yes you can run Oracle with, and on, and in conjunction with, Teradata.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Mar 14 2001 - 23:14:54 CST