Re: Terabytes + database on NT

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:12:04 -0000

I guess that the accepted wisdom would be to go for a Unix OS probably on one of those nice big Sun servers, of course if you have NT sysadmins with experience of terabyte sized systems and no in-house Unix knowledge then go that way. However my opinion (and opinion is all it is) is that a decision to go for NT would be in the words of Yes Minister 'A courageous decision sir'.

Whatever OS you go for you will have the following issues

appropriate partitioning of the db
appropriate storage for the images.

if you choose blobs then you have all the manageability issues associated with those, if you choose file system then you will hjave presumably hundreds of thousands of (relatively) tiny files on your file system. In short iof you haven't got the expertise in-house then it sounds like an ideal contract for a Consultant.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA