Re: Re: Re: Configuring Oracle on RAID 5

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:43:25 -0000

Your redo log script - posted elsewhere - looks like a script written for Version 6 of Oracle. Unless you have some documentation explaining what it does and why the answer means anything you shouldn't depend on it. (In fact, it is probably telling you that the number of redo copy latch (willing to wait) misses is high relative to the number of redo copy latch (willing to wait) gets is high. This is almost invariably not a problem - look at the actual numbers to check.

In the same vein, any scripts you have which return meaningless numbers without explanation are suspect. Always look at underlying, and related, figures to determine is a simple number is revealing a real problem. For example, if v$waitstat is showing undo header waits (as a source of your 'rollback contention' is the number really significant given the amount of work the database is doing. 500 waits 20 minutes after startup is probably very bad, 500 waits 20 days after startup is probably very good.

For the record - I'm also one of those people that don't reach for the garlic when RAID-5 is mentioned. It does underperform on writes, but not so dramatically that it will destroy the typical small to medium-sized office system. The biggest problem is usually too few spindles rather than the actual RAID choice per se.

However, if you are looking at a really big system, then you have much more scope in choice of disks which may make thinking about RAID-5 irrelevant.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html