protocol.ora and invited_nodes

From: John <jhook_at_regenstrief.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:11:22 -0500

Hi,

Oracle 7.3.2.2.0 running on OpenVms 7.2-1

Short Version:

Is it possible to specify a range of IP addresses in the tcp.invited_nodes access list? Every example I can find list each address explicitly.

Long Version:

Our network administrator is in the process of moving our PCs behind a firewall. As part of the process he is configuring the machines to obtain their IP addresses dynamically from a DHCP server.

Access to our DB is currently limited by using the tcp.invited_nodes access list in the protocol.ora file. This is causing problems because people no longer have a known IP addresses. I've discussed the situation with the powers that be and tried to argue for the eliminate of the access control list. So far this has been unsuccessful. So now I am stuck trying to maintain an access list of IP addresses that change every time someone logs on. Obviously, this won't work. The network Admin said that he can specify the range of addresses that will be provided to a particular user. His suggestion was that I modify the protocol.ora to include the ranges of addresses that he is giving out. Seems like doing this would compromise the security provided by the access list to some degree and I doubt that it will be acceptable to our director. I really feel as though I'm stuck between a rock and hard place. If you would have any alternative solutions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks
John Received on Wed Mar 14 2001 - 12:11:22 CST