Re: SQL> select class,count from v$waitstat; show data block contention

From: Anjo Kolk <k.kolk_at_chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:47:43 GMT

James could be right and Connor could be right. See the problem is that the buffer busy waits event doesn't tell what is causing the problem. The bbw comes from either someone changing the block and another wants to access the block or from multiple processes trying to read the same block (one will do the read and the others will wait on the bbw event). You can distinguish between them by looking at v$session_wait and look at the p3 column (id for bbw). Depends on the version of oracle that you are using.

From my experience, waits on data blocks means either that you are missing freelists (many processes are inserting in to the same object) or the buffer cache is too small too keep your current working set in and you have to read them from disk all the time.

Anjo.