Re: Select into or create <table> as & LONG datatypes - what to do?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:36:59 +1100

Is it chaining or is it migration?

Storage clauses won't fix up row chaining (and I'd be concerned that with a long raw in the picture, we are talking about real row chaining, not mere migration). Chaining's simply an inidication that the block size is too small -and block size can't be fixed unless you re-create the entire database.

I suppose the acid test is this: export, truncate the table, and import with ignore=y. Analyze for statistics, and if the problem has gone away, it was migration. If it hasn't, it was chaining. (Incidentally, truncate rather than drop, otherwise, the table created after the import is a new table, with a new object ID, to which prior redo cannot be applied).

Regards
HJR "The Ghost" <The_at_Ghost.com> wrote in message news:L4br6.21398$p66.7388505_at_news3.rdc1.on.home.com...

> Export and import the entire table.
> Use proper storage clauses.
>

> "Glen A. Sromquist" <stromqgl_at_alpac.ca> wrote in message
> > I am trying to correct a table with a high number of chained rows, so
 I've