Re: Configuring Oracle on RAID 5

From: Keith <none_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:51:06 GMT

Maybe the bozos that were explaining RAID to you were just salesman.

But, RAID 5 can work, and is used on major databases.

The problem is the amount of writes that are required and associated.

The entire problem is not RAID, it is a transaction per second you need to sustain.

So, you need to solve for transactions per second that your DB needs to maintain. There is a formula that Compaq uses to determine the amount of drives needed in a RAID 5 array to meet your transactions per second rate due to the amount of write operations needed to perform a transaction with RAID 5 due to overhead.

It may take 80 hardrives in a RAID 5 array to meet your transaction rate, but it is possible, that is the problem with RAID 5, the amount of write operations needed to stripe the information across the array, it isn't necessary that they can't do it, it is just the formula has to be crunched to meet the DB requirements of sustained transaction rate. Then, it will tell you how many drives you need in a RAID 5 array to meet this rate.

Keith