Re: Consistent export vs.snapshot too old.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:47:11 +1100

"Kevin Grant" <K.Grant_at_nowhere.com.au> wrote in message news:Xns9063A13E939A3KGRANTBNEQLDAU_at_132.234.250.31...
> Jarek Palka <jarek_at_kamsoft.com.pl> wrote in
> <3AACF264.164F3D85_at_kamsoft.com.pl>:
>
> >During export of large database using parameter CONSISTENT=Y
> >we received an error :
> >
> >EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1555 encountered
> >ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 5 with name "RB14"
> >too small
> >EXP-00222:
> >System error message 1
> >System error message: No such file or directory
> >
> >Becouse database is on-line 24*7 lot of transactions was in-doubt during
> >this export. Is it possible to force export to use SELECTED
> >rollback_segment ?
> >How can we avoid such errors ?
>
> There is another option that we use here. We have a database that is up
> 24x7. Every morning we clone this database, then export the clone.
>
> The whole process is automated and goes like this:
> - Place each datafile in turn into backup mode and copy.
> - Recover clone database to a point in time.
> - Open clone database and export.

I like this. It's quite clever, and will certainly produce the results you want. The problem as I see it is that cloning can be a tricky business, and point-in-time recoveries are not a picnic. Ever considered exporting from a read-only standby database? Only available in 8i, of course, but -especially with the new automated transfer of archive files as a possibility, it strikes me that it would be easier than cloning. Just a thought -though one I confess I've never tried myself.

Regards
HJR