Re: Normal politeness

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:59:38 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:27:11 GMT, "Mustapha Nuvvercrap" <hashman_at_bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>He shares the same ISP and users newsgroup...He went hunting.
>Where do you get Melbourne from in that domain name ?

Hey, ignorant-crap:

This is in the headers of your messages: NNTP-Posting-Host: 144.132.45.148

Your information, not mine.

Then, one just opens a command box and does a tracert on that, or logs on to any of the million DNS-lookup sites in the Net and enters it. The reply comes in as "<information deleted>@vic.bigpond.net.au". <information deleted> because I have no intention of divulging your actual PC name over and above what you already do.

In Australia, vic.* is Victoria. And in Victoria, the only logical place is Melbourne. Which I deducted and you confirmed. Simple. Nothing sneaky, misterious or illegal here, other than your lack of information about these things..

Same way you can figure out I'm in Sydney, if you really wanted. But then again, going to my *very* public web site would confirm that, wouldn't it?

<start of free advice>
Don't be so 'noid. I'm the very least of your worries. Have you installed a personal firewall? Now, that's something you should be worried about, with good reason. Particularly if you, as I suspect, are running WinMe or equivalent and are connected via cable. Go to www.grc.com and secure your system. NOW! <end of free advice>

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Tue Mar 13 2001 - 03:59:38 CST