Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:43:14 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:56:43 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>work out (syntactically, again) how to pull this trick off. If you've done
>it, I'd love to know how....

Nope. As I said, I don't have 8.1.7 anywhere handy to try with. I haven't played much with locally managed stuff before that version, too many bugs and too risky for serious stuff, IMHO. Come to think of it there is an old 8.1.x somewhere in my NT box, I'll see if I can crank it up and check.

>create tablespace SYSTEM datafile "D_DBFN" extent management local uniform
>size 100K
> "D_DSTG" online

Hmmmm, D_DSTG would receive the storage stuff we put in the CREATE DATABASE statement. I wonder: if we put nothing in the CREATE DATABASE, it might actually fill in default values. Which means the "extent management..." stuff would cause the whole lot to fail. It's one or the other only, IIRC. Gotta think about this...

>(Although,
>I confess... at this point in the proceedings, Pauline Hanson is looking a
>tad more alluring than the prospect of creating a locally-managed tablespace
>could ever possibly be).

and that's putting it mildly! :-D

Cheers
Nuno Souto