Re: SQL> select class,count from v$waitstat; show data block contention

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:07:21 +0800

James Williams wrote:

> I am experiencing some I/O degredation as the below data block numbers
> keep going up.
>
> Thinking about recreating the tables and increasing the freelists and
> inittrans. Is this my best course of action?
>
> SQL> select class,count from v$waitstat;
>
> CLASS COUNT
> ------------------ ----------
> data block 86357
> sort block 0
> save undo block 0
> segment header 0
> save undo header 0
> free list 0
> extent map 0
> bitmap block 0
> bitmap index block 0
> unused 0
> system undo header 0
>
> CLASS COUNT
> ------------------ ----------
> system undo block 0
> undo header 0
> undo block 5
>
> 14 rows selected.
>
> SQL>
Probably not...The most common cause of 'data block' is hot queries, ie churning through blocks heavily.

v$session_wait and v$sqlarea may be useful to try catch such queries.

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"