Restore read-only tablespace through resetlogs

From: Andy Finkenstadt <kahuna_at_panix.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2001 14:29:31 -0500

I just recently completed the Oracle DBA 8i Backup & Recovery class. My environment does not have read only tablespaces, so I am not overly disturbed by my failure to restore a read-only tablespace through a previous recovery involving ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS following recreation of the control file from trace. However, I have wracked my brain all weekend on just how to do this. This is an intellectual exercise - not a down production database. :)

The issue, as I understand it, is that the read only tablespaces are not touched in any respect after being opened. Therefore the SCN on the datafile header of the read only tablespace is still from the previous incarnation of the database.

Would it be possible to alter the tablespace from read only to read write... and online, such that the SCN is updated after resetlogs?

Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt (http://www.finkenstadt.com/andy/)

Your question was: Oh Oracle most wise, if knowledge is power, what's ignorance?
Thus spake the Oracle: Horsepower.