Re: newbie basic questions

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:12:54 +1100

"Paul" <paulsh_at_bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:3AAA7742.E626A37E_at_bigfoot.com...
> I installed Oracle 8i for Linux and am just trying to learn the basics
> of it. I am looking to do some VERY basic things in SQLPLUS but can't
> seem to find any information on it in the book I purchased. Can someone
> give me a tip on how to do the following?
>
> - I have a sample database loaded. How do I list all tables in the
> database?

select * from dba_tables (or all_tables or user_tables -depends on the exact scope of your query. Dba_tables is genuinely the entire database).

> - How do I list all fields in each table?

describe tablename (or simply abbreviate to "desc" -hence desc scott.emp will show all the column names for Scott's emp table).

If you actually want the contents listed, not just the field names, then select * from emp will do it.

> - How do I list the users that are allowed to login to the database
> instance and access it?

select * from dba_users

> These are the MOST basic questions...why wouldn't the book have this
> info????

Does it have a chapter or sections on the data dictionary or data dictionary views? And check the index for a 'describe' command. What book is it, anyway?

Regards
HJR