Re: export problems

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:26:25 +1100

"Rocr" <rolland.cright_at_pwgsc.gc.ca> wrote in message news:98djk5$qac1_at_shark.ncr.pwgsc.gc.ca...
> Hi all,
>
> I am attempting to export an Oracle 7.3.4 database from a Unix
 environment
> into a 734 database on a WINNT environment. I am trying to run the export
> in a dos shell on the windows box.
>
> This is the error I get:
>
> Connected to: Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.1.0 - Production
> With the distributed, replication and parallel query options
>
> PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.1.0 - Production
> EXP-00023: must be a DBA to do Full Database export
> (2)U(sers), or (3)T(ables): (2)U > 2
> EXP-00041: Export done in server's US7ASCII, different from user's
 character
> set
> WE8ISO8859P1
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> D:\dumps>svrmgr23
>
> I can export the file succesfully from the unix box then ftp it to the
 winnt
> box. The problem is that I am having problems with the import. I would
> like to do a full import because the database has several schemas. The
> problem with the full import is that the users will not be created and
> therefore their objects will not as well. I have done this sort of thing
> before as long as I run the export from the intended target. Any ideas
 how
> to change the character set so that this(the error above) will not occur.

The only time I've seen export fail with a character set issue, it was set to direct path exports (which require no character set conversions). Therefore, a quick fix might be to make sure that whatever it is that you are using to fire up export (which, unfortunately -and a bit unhelpfullydid  not show us here) does not include the 'direct=y' parameter.

Export should then gracefully convert between the two character sets mentioned, automatically.

Your export will then, of course, take an age to complete. In which case you need to change your client's character set to be US7ASCII. That can be done, IIRC, with an alter session command, and is well-documented (which is code language for 'I can't remember it off the top of my head, but it's readily found at technet, for example').

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Mar 10 2001 - 15:26:25 CST