Oracle 8.05i Installation Trouble on RedHat 6.2

From: Fei Chen <feic_at_stats.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:31:52 +0000

Deal All,

I'm trying to install Oracle 8.05i on
Linux 2.2.14-5.0smp
by following instruction described in
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue67/3572.html

Things worked all fine all the way through the root.sh step However, after running root.sh, I'm supposed to shutdown the database using the server manager. But I get the "Oracle not available" error message:

[oracle_at_waldstein oracle]$ svrmgrl
Oracle Server Manager Release 3.0.5.0.0 - Production (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.5.1.0 - Production With the Partitioning and Objects options PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.1.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> shutdown
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
SVRMGR> quit
Server Manager complete.

I'm pretty confident that I correctly followed the instruction up to that point. Does anyone have pointers as to what I should do?

Thanks a lot for any information,

Fei

PS. If you post would you kindly cc me a copy? Cheers. Received on Sat Mar 10 2001 - 13:31:52 CST