Re: shutdown normal

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:32:47 +1100

"Naushi Hussain" <naushi.hussain_at_alliedsignal.com> wrote in message news:3AA933A1.48371CC4_at_alliedsignal.com...
> Always do shutdown immediate so oracle can rollback the running
 transactions.
> shutdown normal will wait for very process to finish. If a long job is in
> progress then it has to finish. you can also put it in restricted mode
 'alter
> system enable restricted session' to avoid new user form coming in while
 you
> are doing backups.

There is no need to go into restricted session mode during a shutdown. All flavours of shutdown automatically prevent new users logging on (they'll get a message along the lines of 'unable to connect, shutdown in progress).

The idea of entering restricted session in order to do a backup is intriguing -and a complete waste of time, I would have thought. Since the database must clearly be up for the restricted session command to work, it's obvious you are taking hot backups. One of the main reasons for doing hot backups is because you don't want to shut the database down cold, but wish to allow Users to perform their usual work whilst the backup is taking place. Restricting their access sounds like a case of 'neither fish nor fowl' -you're doing a hot backup, but don't want people in there doing work. I'd question why, if the latter was true, you weren't simply doing a cold backup.

Regards
HJR