Re: diff between v_$ and v$ views?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 19:06:14 +0100

"LF" <frolio_at_videoshare.com> wrote in message news:98b2jf$jqg$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net...
> What is the difference between v_$* and v$* views?
> For example, there exists v_$session and v$session. Do
> they both contain the same information? Please advise.
>
> LF

As these are no materialized views, but ordinary albeit dynamic performance views, they don't, as any ordinary view, 'contain' information. v$... is btw a synonym on v_$, so yes, they do provide the same results. Currently I can't recall why those two sets of names exist. They must have been starting with v_$ and then have realized this was awkward to use in more or less frequently used sql statements.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Mar 09 2001 - 12:06:14 CST