Re: Global Names

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:08:19 +0100

First of all, could you please avoid posting in HTML, many newsreaders can't cope with it.
Secondly, IIRC replication relies on global names to be true, and will not work without
Thirdly, if you use global names and username/password combo's at both sides are the same, you can just use a global database link Finally, if you use Oracle Names, you won't even have to create database links, thus avoiding passwords in the dictionary.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

  "Chris" <me_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:aNZp6.22191$V6.86623_at_news1.gvcl1.bc.home.com...   I just received this month's edition of Oracle Magazine. There's an article on database links where it mentions that Oracle recommends setting the global names parameter to true, thus forcing the database link to be identical to the global name of the remote database. It didn't mention why. I'd heard this before but I don't see any benefits.  In fact there is a disadvantage in that this scheme will never allow you to create more than one link between a pair of databases.

  Does anyone know of any problems caused by setting global names to false?

  --
  Chris