Re: COM+ / IIS / and Oracle 8i on Win2k

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:15:00 GMT

With the information supplied it is difficult to diagnose the problem. But a few areas to look at are :
- do you use NTS security for Oracle i.e. the default ?. Use the Oracle security (the Database and not NT checks the user/password). Maybe ASP is just waiting for NT to check if he knows the user! - check your indexes and compare these to your SELECTS. Do you use function selects like WHERE UPPER(XXX)>=.... If so, you should change your index expressions to match (8.1.6 should support it). - Oracle needs a lot of memory. Have you got enough, like 512MB ? - Have you had someone look at your Oracle setup? Usually those used to MS setups make a botch of setting up Oracle. With Oracle you *must* read the manual before you set up the database.

As a side remark :
Our Oracle systems are *much* faster than our old SQL 6.5 Systems, especially on updates. And when NT shows a blue screen (which is quite common with VB and COM+), recovering to where you were is a piece of cake with Oracle, instead of some of the disastrous experiences we suffered with MS SQL 6.5.

Hth.

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:38:19 -0500, "JG" <seniag75_at_SPAMSUX.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>We have built a web application where ASP pages call VB COM+ components,
>that in turn make stored procedure calls to an Oracle 8i (8.1.6) server.
>The ASP and COM+ components reside on one server, and the database is on
>another. Some of the components are transactional, and some are not.
>
>We originally built the application on SQL Server 7 and it screamed. After
>porting to Oracle, it is slow as a dog. Sometimes the pages will timeout
>waiting to get something back from the DB. This happens with both routine
>recordset requests as well as simple CRUD transactions. Nothing complicated
>or fancy. The app will run very slow for a few minutes, as if the server is
>trying to do a bunch of things at once, then it will speed up for a few
>minutes. This cycle repeats itself over and over again, though the app runs
>slowly more often than it does quickly.
>
>I admittedly know very little about Oracle performance tuning, but am trying
>to learn as much as I can. Has anyone been down this road before with IIS
>and COM+ and Oracle that could provide some pointers? I am specifically
>looking for settings that I might want to change in my Oracle config files,
>etc.
>
>I'm happy to provide any information you would like, and would be most
>grateful for any assistance.
>
>Kind Regards,
>
>JG

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Thu Mar 08 2001 - 13:15:00 CST