COM+ / IIS / and Oracle 8i on Win2k

From: JG <seniag75_at_SPAMSUX.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:38:19 -0500

Hello:

We have built a web application where ASP pages call VB COM+ components, that in turn make stored procedure calls to an Oracle 8i (8.1.6) server. The ASP and COM+ components reside on one server, and the database is on another. Some of the components are transactional, and some are not.

We originally built the application on SQL Server 7 and it screamed. After porting to Oracle, it is slow as a dog. Sometimes the pages will timeout waiting to get something back from the DB. This happens with both routine recordset requests as well as simple CRUD transactions. Nothing complicated or fancy. The app will run very slow for a few minutes, as if the server is trying to do a bunch of things at once, then it will speed up for a few minutes. This cycle repeats itself over and over again, though the app runs slowly more often than it does quickly.

I admittedly know very little about Oracle performance tuning, but am trying to learn as much as I can. Has anyone been down this road before with IIS and COM+ and Oracle that could provide some pointers? I am specifically looking for settings that I might want to change in my Oracle config files, etc.

I'm happy to provide any information you would like, and would be most grateful for any assistance.

Kind Regards,

JG Received on Thu Mar 08 2001 - 10:38:19 CST