Re: sort area size - 8.1.5

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 06:45:14 +1100

At least 640K (otherwise sort_direct_writes don't happen automatically).

Retained size can be quite small if memory is tight.

Otherwise, there is no real easy answer. You should take a look at report.txt produced by utlbstat and utlestat, and check that the percentage of sorts(disk) to sorts(memory) is lower than 1%. If it is, then the PGA is big enough. If it isn't, it isn't.

As you indicate, it's the number of *concurrent* Users that's the load factor to watch, not the number of Users in total. And, given that inserts and loads and updates don't use much by way of the PGA, I wouldn't have thought you'd have too much of a problem: it's sorts that cause the PGA to grow up to the sort_area_size, not updates or inserts.

If you have 90 concurrent Users doing huge reports that require lots of sorts, then you might have trouble: at which point it's time to consider implementing multi-threaded server.

Regards