Re: Linux vs Windows

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:35:01 +0000

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> Frequently it is asserted in this NG that Linux is more stable
> and scalable than win2k when running Oracle. Does anyone know
> if there are any benchmarks/comparisons which demonstrate
> this. Most of the time ISTM that this is just overspill from
> the old MS vs Rest of The world debate.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Like you, I have not seen any hard data. On the other hand, Linux has always been a stable operating system and Win 3.x, Win 9x, and Windows NT have not been stable. In fact when Windows 2K was introduced one of major advantages claimed by MS was that it wouldn't crash once a month or more like NT did. Of course when NT was their flagship they claimed it was stable.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one