Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:07:53 -0000

There was an item in th 8.1.5 manuals
stating that you could make SYSTEM
and LMT but only if all the rollback segments were in tablespaces that were also LMT.

However, I also found a note elsewhere
when looking into this possibility that
pointed out that this was an error in the manuals, and SYSTEM could not be
created as an LMT. This may have
changed (along with other features of
LMTs) with 8.1.6 and 8.1.7

On the question of 'it's so simple' - the thing that puzzles me is why the default database generated for 8.1.5 (and possibly later) doesn't use a TEMPORARY tablespace for the temporary tablespace ? Sometimes inertia is the strongest reason for not changing something.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html