Re: How can I join 2 databases?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:39:06 +0100

"Ron" <ronyin_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw> wrote in message news:9874ke$b41_at_netnews.hinet.net...
> i'm using oracle8.0.5 on RS6000?
> how can i join 2 tables from 2 databases by using client applications(VB
 or
> Java)?
>
> Ron

You need to create a database link to database b in database a. You need to make sure both databases are defined in tnsnames.ora on the server.
After that has been done
you can
select a.*, b*
from foo a, foo@<databaselinkname> b
where a.id = b.id

The nature of your question does rise some suspicion whether you are not using *databases* where you could have better used *multiple schemas in one database*
I would try to use database links only when the database is not located in your office. There are so many drawbacks in using database links (and distributed databases) they should be used very sparingly and not by design.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Mar 08 2001 - 02:39:06 CST