Re: Book recommendation...

From: Keith <none_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:39:36 GMT

Well, of course it's for money!?!? Hey, if I can get a job eventually with some more knowledge and training making $70K+ to start why shouldn't I?

Right now I support two Oracle server apps, one on NT, the other currently Novell, migrating to NT soon. Also support SQL 7. Basic backup, export stuff, not much query line needed, except a little more for Oracle application with help from our vendor.

I'm a Network Enginner, MCSE, CCNA, CNE etc...just looking to expand my knowledge and career options.

Sure I would like to be an Oracle Guru, with time, but since I have access to this stuff, might as well make the company pay for some books/training etc...and take advantage of it. Right now it is tough for a network engineer to make $70K+ in my area without consulting or being in a senior position. DBAs can start at $70K on up around here and jobs are a dime a dozen, so you better believe it is partly about the money. Hey, I got a mortgage and child to raise and support just like most people...

Got to look out for number 1 and my interest...

Thanks for the info, I got the Loney book on order and will start my endeavor, will probably be coming back often for info etc...of course, I have to get this damn MCSE 2000 upgrade done first...what a pain in the butt...

Thanks,
Keith